Body Positivity: Loving Myself

One of my biggest struggles in this journey of recovery is practicing self-love. My psychologist was very clear on how it was a necessity, and it seems it is all I read about in others recovery stories – yet I have a hard time observing the practice myself. However, I will try and try again, and now I’ll be brave and write a post for the lovely me, myself and I!

I am not sure where my reluctance to be fond of myself stems from. Maybe it’s rooted in my childhood, from when I struggled to make friends and subsequently thought I wasn’t good enough. Maybe it’s from my teenage years, when I experienced first hand what it was for boys to not be interested beyond a physical interaction.

Maybe, probably, it’s from this last year, when the traumatic events which preceded my eating disorder, depression and anxiety made me feel like I wasn’t worth anything.

Either which way, the result has been this: I’ve looked at myself in the mirror and not liked the person I saw there. I didn’t think she was good enough, pretty enough, clever enough.

However, now I don’t want that to be the case anymore. I want to see myself as good, kind, smart, funny, creative, valid. I want these glimmers of myself that I have been seeing recently to shine through, strong and true – the version of myself which is worthy of self-respect.

And so here goes a bit of body positivity. Here I am, with all my extra kilos which each represent my recovery. Here I am at my natural weight, short and slightly chubby, and with hairy armpits for feminism.

I am good enough just as I am, and I don’t need a thigh gap to prove a thing.

Love,

Hannah xx

21 thoughts on “Body Positivity: Loving Myself

1. Mike Ridenour says:

I struggle with teetering between selfishness and self-love. Too often, I want to please myself rather than do what I need to become a healthier self. A healthier self doesn’t mean conforming to standards set by other people but it means, at least for me, being what God created me to be.

Have an awesome day!

Liked by 2 people

• hannahgreenexx says:

It’s a fine line between doing yourself good and doing what feels good in the moment but not long term. But it’s important to be kind to yourself and give yourself a break. Glad you know how you want to live. You have a great day too!

Liked by 1 person

2. momonoverload says:

Judging from the pic, ‘chubby’ is not a word I would use to describe you. If anything,..ah, just come over for dinner. I’ll take care it 🙂
    Self love is important and a huge struggle in my own life. If I make time for just myself, I feel guilty for days afterwards. Take time for yourself, be happy and be healthy.

Liked by 2 people

• hannahgreenexx says:

Haha, thank you, dinner would be lovely – and I’m happy I’d now be able to eat it without a problem! You SHOULD make time for yourself, guilt free! But I know what you mean, it’s such a struggle, hope you keep trying! Thanks for reading, love Hannah xx

Liked by 1 person

3. Grizzly Man says:

Sharing these thoughts and pictures shows just how far you’ve come. That is self-love right there, be proud Hannah 🙂
    I can say you’re beautiful, which you are, but what’s most important is you feeling it inside.
    Self-love is perhaps the toughest part of recovery, I’m still a long way away, but posts like this give me a lift, so thank you.
    Keep being you.
    Peace and love xx

Liked by 2 people

• hannahgreenexx says:

Hi!
      Thank you so much for this comment, it made me really happy! I WILL be a little proud, thank you. I’m not sure if I feel beautiful yet, but I’m certainly closer to feeling worthy anyway, and liking myself a bit more.
      Really glad you liked the post, thank you for reading! Love, Hannah xx

Liked by 1 person

4. ncruralviews says:

You are worth every ounce of self love and devotion that you can give. Always be true to yourself first and the rest will follow. Acknowledgment of your issues or concerns and Acceptance of them is key to recovery of any situation. One step at a time is better than no steps at all 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• hannahgreenexx says:

Hi, thank you so much for such a nice comment, I really appreciate it. I’m hoping that I’m taking the right steps for my recovery, I’m trying my best anyway. Thanks a lot for reading! Love, Hannah xx

Liked by 1 person